Wednesday, November 3, 2010

#20 Hardening

Well today has been a roller coaster of emotions! Woke up at 0630 & headed out for my walk. I managed to ditch hubby & mum as my chaperone's & go it alone. Was going along well when I started to realise my left FLAP was feeling uncomfortable & very hard. When I got home & checked it out it was seriously rock hard all around the top area & a bit sunken. This sent me into panic mode. All I could think of was my body is rejecting this transplant & I'm going to have to have more surgery! I sat with my peppermint tea sobbing. Mum was trying to console me & hubby cancelled his day in the office in town. (God I'm a drama queen)

I had to wait until 0900 to call the surgeon's rooms, so I took a shower & got organised if I had to rush off into hospital. It seemed to take forever for 0900 to come around & I was amazed at how quickly I could shower, including washing & drying/straightening my hair.

Right on 0900 I called the rooms & was put through to one of the nurses. The gorgeous Laura who had spent 2 horrid nights with me at my worst in hospital after surgery. She is gorgeous, and suggested I came in to see her after lunch. She did reassure me that hardening does happen & it's probably fine, so I felt a little better & stopped my pathetic sobbing.

Hubby & I trekked into the city to the hospital & arrived a little early, so we stopped by "The Chicks in Pink" shop (breast cancer charity shop) & purchased a few more T-shirts & things. Retail therapy always settles me down.

When we arrived at the surgeon's rooms, we didn't have to wait long for Laura to see us. Laura had a look & said she could understand why I was worried by the look of it. But said I was very little & she was used to most of the women being rather large with large breasts, so mine are a little sunken at the top.
She had arranged for another Doctor (as mine was at a conference) to see me, which was great. He took a look & explained about the blood flow being established & that the fatty tissue from my tummy wont all establish & therefore instead of fatty tissue in places, muscle will be directly under the skin & that is why there is some sunken area above the FLAP, but the hardness was normal & will settle over time, not to worry about it! I can't tell you how relieved I was! Now I probably haven't explained it correctly, but the bottom line is hardness is normal & everything seems to be going well. I see my surgeon on Monday! :-)

Sorry about the drama people!

4 comments:

  1. We need to set up a "NO DRAMA ZONE" for you!!

    Seriously glad everything is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that all worked out. I was holding my breath reading that post. So happy you don't have to have more surgery. You are doing amazingly well. Your courage is inspiring. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay it's ok!!!

    I totally love that even with the possibility of going back to hospital, you still straightened your hair. That's the way to do it!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it turned out to be nothing to worry about. I agree with RetroJetGirl, good effort to straighten your hair even in times of crisis!

    ReplyDelete