Friday, November 26, 2010

#24 Hubby's perspective

My hubby, who has been amazing through all of this & still is, wanted to put his point across. I hope you find it informative. I'm crying as I type. xoxo

Hubby's Perspective
Reading Noodle’s blog has been great and I think quite therapeutic for her… and for me too reading it, even though we’ve lived through it and discussed everything, there has been a certain amount of emotional disconnect.  What I mean is we’ve dealt with it all by just doing what needs to be done, but it’s been a little surreal.  Noodle’s let me write this to give some of my thoughts on this experience.
  
In one of Noodle’s blogs, she mentioned the “Bubble has certainly burst”, but in reality I think we’ve been pretty lucky.  She was vigilant when checking lumps, so caught it early.  The decision to have the double mastectomy was the absolute right decision based on the outcome of the post op results, and early diagnosis meant the cancer hadn’t spread to the lymph nodes.  So, I don’t think the bubble has burst, it just deflated a bit.  And my message to the girls reading this is to be vigilant and act early if you find a change!

No mater what city I’ve dragged the family to with work, Noodle has always been quick to make friends and her ability to maintain and nurture friendships (no mater where she is) was very evident by the overwhelming support she (and I) got from all around the world.  Although I thought it may have been a little impersonal, I kept local and distant friends up to date via Facebook and Twitter updates, which I’ve been told people liked because they felt like they were able to keep up with what was happening without them feeling like they were annoying us… which no one did.  Social networking has worked well for us during this experience!

Being a partner of a cancer sufferer has it’s difficult times… you’re really just an observer, and most of the time you feel very helpless, there’s nothing physically you can do to make things better.  This is very annoying for someone who likes to think he’s in control… but we all know Noodle controls the family J.   All you can do is be there with love and support, which was the easy bit.      

I was lucky enough to marry into a great family, I love Noodles family and as expected they were fantastic through the whole thing.  I have to single out Noodles sister Kim and her mum who both came up from Victoria to stay with us for 2 weeks each (4 weeks total), with a shift handover at the airport mid term (drop Kim off, pick mum up)… they were both amazing and I can’t thank them enough for all their love and support. 

We’re now just over 6 weeks post Op, and Noodle is doing amazingly well, and she looks great.  But clothes and Noodle’s smile hides the physical and emotional roller coaster of the last few months, and the pain she’s still experiencing.  We’ve settled back down into a pretty normal routine again, and time is slowly healing.

Thanks everyone for your support!!! 

Love you honey! Gav xoxo

7 comments:

  1. "But clothes and Noodle’s smile hides the physical and emotional roller coaster of the last few months, and the pain she’s still experiencing."
    This is truer than anything I have been able to put down in my blog! Thanks babe, love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, as one of those global friends, found Nonoodle to be a quite a great person to chat with when I was working late at night. I still find it pretty amazing to meet and be friends with someone half way around the world!

    Best of luck and get well, Nicky! Hang in there Gav!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww you guys, I'm crying a little right now. It is clear you have a wonderful relationship and family, and you are being there for each other the best way you know how. Cancer sucks, but you guys are all there together kicking it to the curb. I thank Noodle and you for sharing your experiences because it really reminds us all to be as vigilant as Noodle has been, and also, of just what is important in life. Love and hugs to you all xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was lovely to read about things from your husband's perspective. It sounds like you have a great support network!

    ReplyDelete