Tuesday, November 2, 2010

#19 Workshop

One of my girl friends who is a beautician, volunteers for an organisation called "Look Good, Feel Good"! They hold workshops for cancer patients to go along & have a makeover, with hair (wigs) & makeup lessons. It's a bit of fun & you get to keep all the products! So today she took me along to one. Was a small group of only 4 patients, two older ladies & (sadly) one 14 year old girl & myself.

We started off with cleansing & removing our makeup that we already had on. I sat next to this lady who was a scream! She came in with a turban on with a blingy head band over it, she looked wonderful & this really displayed her personality. As we moved through the make demonstration she would repeat everything we were being told to do. They used her to demonstrate the eyebrow pencil, which she thought was hilarious because without her glasses on she couldn't see her eyebrows & with them on we couldn't see her eyebrows anyway. She & the other lady were bantering the whole time with each other about how to put their makeup on. You had to be there, but they were very funny!

The lady beside me had met the wig lady before as she had already purchased a wig from her. So when it was time to demonstrate the wigs, she was chosen to go up as the model. Well she wasn't too happy about taking off her turban for all to see, but the wigs looked fantastic on her. You really wouldn't know they were wigs at all. She bossed around the wig lady & tried on lots of different turbans & headband combinations laughing & joking through the whole thing. I was feeling a little guilty about the hair lose as I was the only one who still had my own hair. They all tried on wigs & the young girl looked fantastic! She would close her eyes every time they took it off as she didn't want to see herself without hair. Was hard for me to sit there when I knew I wasn't going to be having chemo & would therefore not loose my hair. It was a very humbling moment!

I think everyone enjoyed the morning, I know I did, it was great to get out of the house & meet new people & have a laugh. Thanks Sarah for taking me along xoxo

5 comments:

  1. Sweetie, I am only just now catching up with your news. I am really sorry that this is happening to you.

    I have been there somewhat (lumpectomy, 1 node removed) and have undergone the chemo and radiation. I am now 2 1/2 years cancer free and counting.

    The Look Good Feel Better workshop was definitely worthwhile, although I was singled out a bit because of my younger age.

    I will be reading your story with interest. If you ever need someone to vent to, DM me on Twitter and we can connect somehow. I know that I sometimes found it easier to talk with people who were going through/have gone through it themselves.

    By the way, blogging is a great form of therapy for this sort of thing. I wish I had found it when I was going through this. I used to write novel-length emails to my friend in Italy (much like this comment is turning out to be!)

    Big hugs to you,

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm with Shelly. Blogging your way through this is therapeutic and will get you in touch with people who get you.
    How wonderful you were able to enjoy this day, and thank you for sharing because it DOES raise awareness and help others. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really neat idea, I've heard about those workshops. And I guess because the other ladies have also gone through a similar experience, that it's kind of therapeutic too.

    Just because you're not having chemo doesn't make things any less tough for you, everyone has their own stuff to deal with. I know that probably sounds very blase coming from someone who hasn't been through it, but it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments - Gretzky you are an angel never base xo
    Shelly& Bronnie thanks

    ReplyDelete