Wednesday, October 20, 2010

#9 ICU

Well today is the 1st day I have felt like doing anything except sleep! (4 days after op)
What a journey so far! I woke up in ICU with people all around me, taking constant Ob's. It was a long night.

I had a physio come around & give me some breathing exercises & a couple of hand & leg movements to do to prevent clotting. I think I over did the arm exercises & raised my arms too high. This gave me chest pain, sending the everyone into panic. They did a blood test for heart attack & took me off for a CT Scan to make sure there was no clots. (All I needed on top of everything else)
Finally that was all cleared which was a relief (I didn't tell anyone that I thought it was just my over exercising that caused the pain in the first place)

They then decided I could go down to the ward. !!Yay

My sister & hubby stayed with me the entire time I was in ICU. My sister wanted me to mention that at one point in ICU i made a comment that "This is Bull Shit"! I don't remember it, but she said Oh there's Nicky!

Once I was being moved to a ward,(I was in a single room this time) hubby went home & grabbed my boys to bring them in to see me. I was just on the ward when they arrived, it was lovely to see them. I think it was a bit confronting for them to see me with all the tubes & drains. They all left me to rest about an hour later.

Another  long tough night. Not much sleep constant Ob's & interruptions. I woke up feeling terrible & started crying just as the surgeon arrived. (bad timing) He tried to give me a pep talk - Epic Fail!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I have missed a LOT! I had no idae- sorry. Have just read your posts though, and am impressed with your attitude. I'm sure you've made the right decision. Funny, a good friend of mine had a mastectomy for cancer and has been going through the reconstruction period- I have seen her boobs and they are nippleless, but her final op is next Tues. She's thrilled wth her new breasts and even happier to get rid of the spectre of cancer. Go you! And feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're finally starting to feel like doing 'stuff' again! I've always found the text thing weird too, imagine that being part of your job description "drawing on naked people with pens"

    I would not be able to resist the temptation to add a smiley face as well, just to cheer people up :P

    ReplyDelete